In this tutorial I will show you how to create a surreal photo manipulation called "On My Road". We'll go through manipulating techniques, using brush, masking, blending, working with lighting.. and more.
(Update 2014 for the link of starry sky, you can use my stock instead).
1. Create a new document and fill it with white ( or any colors you like). Open road stock. Cut out the road and field and move into our document, resize and place it as shown below:
I add some adjustment layers to change road color. Go to Layer-New Adjustment Layer-Curves:
Layer-New Adjustment Layer-Hue/Saturation:
2. Create a new layer and hit G to active Gradient Tool. Choose Linear Gradient with color #024c9e and #b2d7f7. Drag a line from top to bottom to get result like this:
Add layer mask for this layer and use soft black brush with big size to clear the part covering the road:
3. Open sky stock. Copy this part, place it into our canvas and resize to fit:
Add layer mask and remove rough edges of this sky part:
To change color of this sky to be fit the rest, I use and adjustment layer with Clipping Mask. Go to Layer-New Adjustment Layer-Curves:
4. Create a new layer on the top. Set foreground to white and use cloud brushes to paint on horizon. You can choose any brush you like and here is my result:
I want to darken sky and cloud part so I make a new layer, use soft brush with color #658ab2 painting over it. Set the mode to Multiply 40%:
5. Extract the man and position him on the road, resize him to be much smaller:
Make a new layer under man one. Hold the Cmd/Ctrl and click man layer to load him selection.
Fill this selection with black and then go to Edit-Transform-Flip Vertical. Move this shadow and transform it ( use Cmd/Ctrl+T) to get the look below:
Lower opacity to 50%, apply Gassian Blur with 2 px ( Filter-Blur-Gassian Blur) and use layer mask to blur the top of shadow ( brush with opacity about 50%):
6. I use a Curves layer with Clipping Mask to reduce brightness and change a bit of man color:
Make a new layer (Clipping Mask) and use brush with color #b6c3c2. Paint over model back, head, shoulders and arms to reduce brightness there. Set the mode to Multiply 80%.
We'll add some light for man by Layer Style. Right click man layer, choose Blending Options:
7. Drag starry sky stock into our main document and place it onto sky part:
Change the mode to Screen 100% and use layer mask to remove stars on cloud part:
8. Create some new layers and use space brushes, number 597 to paint some falling stars from the upper left of sky:
9. Open planet stock pack. Choose the one you like and move into our picture. I transform and place it on the top center of sky and call it "planet 1":
Change the mode to Screen 100% and use layer mask to erase outside part of this planet:
Take some other planets and place them on two sides of sky and put the mode as Screen 100%:
For the planets in the center and right side I add a Color Balance layer ( Clipping Mask):
For the planet on the left side I use a Hue/Saturation layer ( Clipping Mask):
10. Create a new layer on the top and choose Radial Gradient with default color ( black and white):
Change the mode to Soft Light 70% and use layer mask and soft black brush to remove the top part of sky:
11. Make some adjustment layers on the top.
Layer-New Adjustment Layer-Gradient Map:
Change the mode of this Gradient Map layer to Soft Light 100%.
Layer-New Fill Layer-Solid Color:
Change the mode of this fill layer to Color 10%.
This is result we have:
12. Make a new layer and use soft brush with color #776e5d painting over road and field. Change the mode to Multiply 100%:
New layer and I use soft white brush to paint on the top of the road which meets horizon. Put the mode as Soft Light 100%. Erase the part on the man with layer mask:
New layer again, take soft brush with color #949696. Paint on two sides of sky to darken them. Set the mode as Multiply mode 100%:
13. Create a new layer and use Gradient Tool to make light focus better:
Change the mode to Soft Light 100% and add layer mask to remove or reduce contrast as shown below:
I add a Levels layer to increase contrast a bit:
Use brush on the mask of Levels layer to remove dark contrast on the road, field, two sides of sky and the bottom of the planet in the center: