With few simple steps your pic can get a special effect like its
in a movie scene. We will create a soft , dreamy effect on
the face also make it stand out with warm color from the background
This effect is suitable to close-up portrait photographs.
1. Duplicate your pic. Apply photo filter. Its to make the face have
warm tone. If your model face is dark or warm, skip this step or lower
Then apply Gassian blur with 10 px. Set this layer to Multipy 50%
2. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E. Choose Filter- Distort - Diffuse glow ( i set background color to fbd0d0).
3. Apply Gassian blur with 4px and lower opacity to 50%.
4. Apply Lens Correction:
5. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E. Use Ellipse Marque tool to create a selection around
the model face, set feather = 20. Select Inverse we have:
Choose Image - Apply Image:
Press Ctrl+L to adjust levels , increase dark green tone that is popular in movie effect:
Choose Select - Inverse again then apply Photo filter from Image - Adjustment:
Ctrl+D to deselect we have final effect:
Some tips for this tutorial:
- You should use warm tone ( warm pin, warm yellow...) for Photo Filter steps.
- If you want any of your model face part is lighted up by Diffuse glow,
create selection around it and set right feather ( 10-20) then you can
apply it and with correct parameters ( dont try only my parameters ).
- If you dont want diffuse glow effect to affect the background and any
unwanted parts, make selection for only the part you want to apply it,
copy it onto a new layer . After Diffuse glow step merge two these layers
then you can use Lens correction filter.
- You can choose another color for Diffuse glow depending on your pic ( but light color recomended)
- When use apply image in step 5, change opacity to fit your pic. Make
selection for any parts that are still in light and apply image again
till you feel ok.
ABOUT ME: I'm Jenny and i live in Hanoi, Vietnam. If you like what i write or want to keep in touch with me, you can subscribe to My blog, email me
or like My Facebook page to keep updates of my latest works.
Please ask before you want to post or translate my tutorials on other sites. I hardly decline if you ask nicely. Thank you :).
Welcome! you try to help me make this work offline <Night's feeling> Upcoming birthday of my girlfriend, I want to give her style photographs <Night's feeling.> you try to help me. I thank you very much!
Hi Jenny, I just bumped into ur tutorial on soft and dreamy movie effect but you didn't specify which program u used to get dat result can u kindly mail it to me and pls in details tanx a lot for sharing this it so nice of you.