In this tutorial you will learn how to create a burning girl with fire effect. We will come through easy steps to create this cool effect using only default filters, color and brushes of photoshop.
1. Open your picture and duplicate it we have Background copy. You better choose model with flying hair so effect will look nicer. Choose Filter-Stylize-Find edges:
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+U to desaturate it, then hit Ctrl+I to invert color. We have result:
3. Make a selection around face, neck, body except hair, then copy it into a new layer ( right click this selection, choose Layer via Copy to use Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+V to paste):
This step is to make face, body of girl on a new layer so when we apply effect in following step these part will not be affected.
4. Duplicate background copy ( that has been applied some effects in previous steps). Choose Filter-Stylize-Wind.
My model hair is flying hair from the right so i choose From the Right like in this screenshot:
Depending on your model hair direction you can choose like me or in contrary side or choose both.
Apply Ripple effect ( Filter-Distort-Ripple):
Apply Gassian Blur with 1 px, then Motion blur:
Set this layer to Screen 100%.
Duplicate it and lower opacity to 50% ( with Screen mode):
5. Now we will use Smudge tool to make fire look more realistic. Create a new layer , choose Smudge tool:
Drag fire lines to make them look smoother:
6. Create a new layer, choose soft brush, 9 px and color #faa203 with settings:
Paint around model like this:
Apply Outer glow:
7. New layer again, use soft brush, 4 px, uncheck Color Dynamics on brush settings and draw around model ( dont apply layer style):
Step 6, 7 are to create fire spots.
8. Create a new Color Balance layer ( Layer-New adjustment layer-Color Balance):
Midtones: 60, 13, -89
Shadows: 63, 25, -57
Highlights: 71, 0, -43
Curves layer to make more contrast:
We have result:
9. Final step: Create a new layer with Overlay mode, fill with 50% gray:
Use Dodge tool to brighten more highlights and Burn tool to strengthen dark parts on model