Today i will show you how to do a nice illustrated sketch effect.
1. Duplicate your pic we have layer 1 . Press Ctrl+Shift+U to desature it. Choose Edit - Fade desaturate:
2. Press Ctrl+J to duplicate layer 1 we get layer 1 copy. Ctrl+I to
invert it, then set this layer to Color Dodge 100%. Choose
Choose layer 1, lower opacity to 50-70% depending on your pic. I choose 50% because my pic is light:
3. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E to get a new layer. Apply Surface blur:
Set this layer to Multipy 100%. Duplicate it and lower opacity to 50% we have:
If your pic is dark you can choose another mode such as Screen, set right opacity or skip changing mode.
4. Now we can use adjustment layers to make the pic look better. I choose Color balance:
5. Create a new layer, choose soft brush, color feb9d0 to paint on her cheeks and then her skin, set this layer to Multipy 25%.
6. We see something wrong with her lips. It caused the light reflected
on her lips in original pic.
Create a new layer, choose Clone tool and
check Same All Layers on property bar. Hold Alt key to choose the right
area of lip and paint over there.
7. Use soft brush, 2px, with color of left lips stroke to draw the right:
8. Add background ( i add some vector patterns, set this to Multipy 50% ,
add a layer masks to erase the model) to complete the final effect:
Some tips for this tutorial:
- Use another adjsutment layers to adjust the light and color, such as Level, Brightness/contrast or Curves if needs.
- If your pic background is not a simple color ( like my pic) you should skip the step 8.
ABOUT ME: I'm Jenny and i live in Hanoi, Vietnam. If you like what i write or want to keep in touch with me, you can subscribe to My blog, email me
or like My Facebook page to keep updates of my latest works.
Please ask before you want to post or translate my tutorials on other sites. I hardly decline if you ask nicely. Thank you :).