Create a beautiful emotional black and white love scene
Finally the tut that was being asked from this post is here after many days of being busy ( my work). Here we are celebrating 1000 yrs old birthday of Hanoi capital, so i have many events to join and enjoy :D. Though i am not the author who made this pic and dont know who is original pic author but luckily i have it so i can show you how i do to get a similar result. Thank the author for this beautiful and emotional photo Enjoy! :D.
1.First we will create more space and depth for this pic. Create a new blank layer ( 502x380 px) and move our stock into it, drag it onto the top:
2. Create a new blank layer, choose Clone tool and make sure that Sample All Layers is checked on property bar. Alt+ click to choose the source point and then click the white part to clone on. Then continue cloning on some parts on street like that:
Dont worry if the arrangement of bricks on street is in disorder because it depicts a scene the girl is sitting and drooping on the street while all other way is toward another direction, there is no way for her love. They will be blurred and darkened.
3. Open the rose stock.
Use your favorite method to cut out the rose from pic:
Resize, do flip horizontal and move it into girl pic. Choose Edit-Transform-Warp to tweak the rose like this:
Add layer mask to erase the part of her hand, the top and bottom of rose to make it smaller and shorter.
4. Open this stock maintained the petal. Cut it out from the stock:
Move it onto the girl file.
Duplicate it 5 times and move them to different positions.
Use transform tools ( distort, warp) and blur tool to create different motions:
5. Create a new layer , choose custom shape tool:
Grab a heart and then right click and choose Make selection with feather = 0. Choose Edit-Stroke:
Use lasso tool to crop the half heart, copy ( Ctrl+C) and paste into a new layer. Hide the heart shape layer.
Apply Glowing edges, Wind and Sketch-Reciculation:
Use transform tool ( distort, warp, perspective)
Then duplicate this layer. Apply flip horizontal:
Use transform tool above for this half heart.
Merge two these layers. Distort it again to make the heart look like being engraved on street:
6. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E. Create a selection in the center of the pic, feather 30, then select inverse.
Apply Gassian blur with 3 px and then Paint Daubs from Artistic filter:
Add layer mask to erase some blur part on the pic edges, around model:
7. Stamp visible . Ctrl+Shift + U to desaturate it. Duplicate this layer we get layer desaturation copy.Lower opacity of first desaturation layer to 80%. Choose second desaturated layer, add layer mask to erase the model skin, the rose and petals:
8. Ctrl+Shift+ Alt+E. Grab a selection around model and center part with feather 30 and select inverse:
Copy and paste this selection into a new layer. Press Ctrl+L to adjust levels:
9. Create a new layer again, use soft black brush with 26% opacity, flow 46% to paint over light parts like the pic below to reduce the brightness:
10. New layer and set to overlay:
Use Dodge tool with Highlight range, size 95px to brighten some parts on her dress and shoulder:
11. New layer again, with Color mode 100%use soft brush , color 6b493d to paint on petals. Then duplicate it and set to Color Dodge 20%.
12. Stamp visible all layers. Duplicate it and apply Lens Correction:
Add layer maks and use soft black brush, opacity 40%, flow 52% to erase the part around model and the right edge of pic.
13. Create a new layer with option like step 10, use Dodge tool to brighten the right edge of pic:
14. New layer again, click to choose Line Tool. Set foreground color to white.
Hold Shift key to draw a line:
Right click the line, choose Make selection and choose Edit-Stroke, fill it with white. Lower opacity to 40%:
Duplicate it many times and move lines to different positions.
Merge them all and set outer glow :
Add layer mask with soft black brush opacity 70%, flow 40% to blur some lines:
15. Add a new layer use dodge tool in same way above to make some light on the rose and petals:
16. Add this nice texture to our file, set to Screen 100%, distort and desaturate it, erase, duplicate, blur...do in the way you want. My result:
17. Now we will decorate the pic. Create a new layer, i use star brush from mmp stock:
18. Create a new levels layer, then use soft black brush to erase the model hair. This step is to increase the darkness contrast.
19. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+E. Make a selection around model, i apply Topaz sharpen to reduce noise and give her artistic sharpness:
ABOUT ME: I'm Jenny and i live in Hanoi, Vietnam. If you like what i write or want to keep in touch with me, you can subscribe to My blog, email me
or like My Facebook page to keep updates of my latest works.
Please ask before you want to post or translate my tutorials on other sites. I hardly decline if you ask nicely. Thank you :).
Nice! so thank you for making this tut this is what I have been waiting so long. thank you very much, or expect you will do much more for everyone TUT nhé. Wish you good health and meet all the luck in life. thank you very much
@Max: Thank you for being a visitor of my site, you're welcome , hope to see you more
@Hoàng Tiến : im happy if my this tut can be helpful for you. Hope you can make your own beautiful workf for your girlfriend. Happy birthday to her . I will post next tutorials soon. Keep a look at here
I just did from what i felt and knew...but i must say that it took many hours of mine, but im glad finally i finished it in the way i like ;). Thank you very much for your sweet comment, it really touches me
hi jenny!! i absolutely love your tutorials!! but im having some trouble on this one, im stuck on step 5, im using CS5 by the way, and when i choose the custom shape tool and get the heart i try to right click and it doesnt give me the option of making a selection what do i do?
Hi Christian thank you for your words. Im not sure how to do it in CS5 but in my CS2 version, to convert the shape or path into a selection, click to Pen tool then right click on the shape, you can see Make selection. Or simplier, hit Ctrl+Enter you will get the same result. Hope it helps ;).
Thanks for the great vid. Could you give some details or a refreence to your sharpening method? I too often skip sharpening and I'm sure I would be better off incorporating it into my work. Thanks again!