1. Open desert background and duplicate it. Apply Lens Correction from Distort filter:
Add layer mask with soft black brush, eraser parts as shown below:
2. Create two new adjustment layers: Curves:
Set Gradient Map layer to Overlay 30%:
3. Open model stock. I only cut the face and place it on desert, name it "face"
Create a new layer under face layer, use soft black brush to create shadow for
the face. Try different opacity for the shadow under face( higher
opacity) and shadow beside face ( lower opacity) to fit the light on
4. To create "plastic" effect, i duplicate face layer, and apply Surface blur:
5. Now we will correct the light on face. Right click face copy layer, change Inner Shadow:
After this step, we see light on some unwanted parts:
To remove it, right click face copy layer to reveal layer effect( Inner Shadow)
Right click Inner shadow, choose Create layer:
Now we have Inner Shadow as a normal layer with Clipping Mask option:
Add layer mask to clear light effect on parts selected like on a previous screenshot:
6. To darken the face part that is not shown up by the light from
background, i create a new Curves layer above the face copy layer and
make sure that Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask is checked. By
this way the Curves only affect face copy layer.
7. Create a new layer on the top. Use Pen tool to create a path then
make a selection, fill it with color 560303 like the pic below show we
have a blood flowing from eye : ( to make this blood look softer and
more realistic, set feather for selection = 1)
Add layer style for this blood:
Add layer mask and soft black brush again to eraser the part near to eye:
Make a new layer, with same technique to make a blood drop that is fallen on desert from the eye:
8. Cut the thorn and move to the right of the pic:
To correct the light on the thorn, i use Inner Shadow and Inner Glow effect:
Duplicate this layer and transform as shown below:
9. Cut the heart and move into top of thorns:
. Place this layer under thorn layers.
Like with thorns, apply Inner Shadow and Inner Glow to fix the light of heart:
Create a new Hue/Saturation layer with Clipping Mask option like in step 6.
Come back to thorn layers, add layer mask with brush to clear some parts to make the heart look like stabbed by thorn:
10. Create a new layer and set on the top. Use stitches brushes with
color 560303 to draw on the heart, then set this layer to Multipy 100%:
11. New layer and set to Hard light 100%, use cracked brushes with color 3a3739 to paint on the face:
12. Use soft brush. color 560303 , on a new layer that is set to Multipy 40% to darken lips:
13. Open rose petals stock. Choose some of them and move them on desert, remember to transform them:
Merge all rose layers and apply Drop Shadow:
To make dead effect for petals, i create a new Hue/Saturation layer above petals
layer with Clipping Mask option, reduce lightness and Saturation:
14. Create a new layer above Hue/Saturation layer with Clipping Mask
option. Use soft white brush to spot on petals as shown below:
Set this layer to Soft light 100%:
15. Create some new adjustment layers:
Color Balance: Midtones: 8, 8, 8 Shadows: -1, 3, 10 Hightlights: 8, 4, -16
New color fill layer ( color 2919c0) with Soft light mode 10%.
16. Stamp visible all layers. Use Lasso Tool to make a selection on
desert thats near to horizon with feather 40.
Right click it choose Layer via Copy, then apply Gassian blur with 8 px, lower opacity to 50%:
Add layer mask to clear blur effect on the thorns.
17. Final touch! Stamp visible again. Choose a selection as shown below:
Apply Gassian blur with 4 px, then set it to Soft light 50%:
ABOUT ME: I'm Jenny and i live in Hanoi, Vietnam. If you like what i write or want to keep in touch with me, you can subscribe to My blog, email me
or like My Facebook page to keep updates of my latest works.
Please ask before you want to post or translate my tutorials on other sites. I hardly decline if you ask nicely. Thank you :).
Have no doubt. I can assure you that your composite is very nice and very imaginative. I atleast liked it very much and I myself work a lot with composites and find them to be very enlightening. It gives freedom to our imagination and you never know where it cn lead us. My final destinations are always a surprise. Keep going and enjoy yourself
Hi Jack Thanks for your proposal. About my part, i've been so busy with some new projects in my own works so im not sure if i can do it. I believe its a nice one and i wish all the best for your project as well as your whole business. Thanks for trusting me. Its always nice to hear from you.
Initially after looking tears at the face of a beautiful lady, rather a fairy, i disappointed and something crunched in my heart,... later i read completely and found that tutorial also follows it.... Awesome dear.
Thanks Huzaifa...All of us once get love hurt in our life. Just hope what i depicted in my this tutorial just an idea. This hurt is always deep and hard to cope with. I think after we express our pain, we must have a much more positive behavior for it in our real life. Love is not all our life, especially what is lost!